In this article, we’ll review the Citi Simplicity® Card, from our partner Citibank. We’ll look at who the card is for, its credit score requirements, fees, APR, and more.
This Article Contains:
(Click on a link to jump to the specific section)
The Citi Simplicity® Card has a reputation for keeping things simple and saving you money. This card doesn’t have any hidden fees - or really, that many fees at all.
The card issuer charges no late fee, penalty APR, and no annual fee.
Besides the lack of fees this card offers, it also provides you with an introductory interest rate. For the first 21 months of account opening, you receive a 0% APR on balance transfers. There’s also a 0% APR for 12 months on purchases.
This makes the card a fantastic option for those with existing credit card debt that they want to transfer. By moving funds from one card to the Citi Simplicity, you can consolidate debt onto one card while avoiding costly monthly interest charges.
Ultimately, the Citi Simplicity ® card is great for individuals opposed to fees, those with an existing credit card balance, or those considering financing options for a larger purchase.
To qualify for the Citi Simplicity card, you’ll need a credit score of good to excellent. That means having a credit score of at least 670. That said, the card issuer may approve you with a lower credit score as other factors like your debt, payment history, and utilization ratio may also affect the decision.
Keep in mind that applying with a lower credit score may mean receiving a higher interest rate.
The Citi Simplicity credit card has no annual fee and no late fee.
However, the card does include a couple of fees.
Specifically, there’s a balance transfer fee of either $5 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater.
There’s also a cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of each cash advance, whichever is greater and a foreign transaction fee of 3%.
Although there aren’t any penalties if making a late payment, there’s a fee of up to $40 for a returned payment.
Much like with the Citi® Diamond Preferred®, the Simplicity comes with an attractive 0% introductory APR for 21 months on balance transfers from the date of the first transfer.
In addition, there’s a 0% introductory APR for 12 months on purchases from the date you open your account.
Once this introductory period is over, there’s a variable APR of 14.74% - 24.74% for purchases, balance transfers, and Citi Flex Plans.
There’s also a variable APR of 25.24% when making a cash advance.
However, there is no penalty APR.
Below are some of the benefits associated with the Citi Simplicity credit card:
- Automatic account alerts - If you experience any suspicious activity on your account, you will automatically receive an alert to inform you of the transaction.
- $0 liability on unauthorized transactions - As a Citi Simplicity cardholder, you’re protected against unauthorized transactions and won’t be liable for any fees as a result.
Additionally, with Citi® Quick Lock, you can block new purchases and cash advances through the Citi Mobile® app while still allowing deposits and recurring transactions. If you’ve lost your card, Citi® Quick Lock can stop purchases without having to go through the hassle of ordering a new card or changing your account number.
- 24/7 customer service - As a cardholder, if you need questions or queries, you can quickly connect to a support representative whenever you need.
- Free credit score check - Thanks to Citibank partnering with Equifax, you can receive your FICO credit score online whenever you need it.
- Contactless pay - A chip inside your card allows for easy transactions. Just a tap, and you’ll have completed the payment. Not only does this feature add to the ease of transactions, but it increases safety as well. In the US, the limit on your contactless payments is set by your bank. Citi allows for any amount up to your available card limits.
- Citi® Identity Theft Solutions - If you’re a victim of identity theft, Citi will help you resolve the matter as quickly as possible.
Below are a few of the defining properties of the Citi Simplicity Card:
- Citi Flex Plan - The Citi Flex Plan is an umbrella term for two of Citi’s financial products: Citi Flex Loan and Citi Flex Pay. The former is similar to a personal loan but allows you to borrow from your existing credit limit and pay it back in fixed monthly payments.
Citi Flex Pay allows you to split up larger purchases and pay them off over time with fixed monthly payments.
Log in to the Citi Mobile app and select an eligible purchase. Then, pick a payment plan, and Citi will break down the amount into fixed monthly payments. Note that the standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 14.74% - 24.74%, based on your creditworthiness.
- No penalty rate for late payments - Unlike many other credit card companies, you won’t have to worry about paying any penalty fees on late payments, nor will Citi impose a penalty rate. However, most credit card companies aren’t this lenient, and you should still always try to pay your credit card balance in full every month. Even if you aren’t penalized, your credit score can still suffer.
- No welcome offer - Many credit card issuers entice customers with attractive welcome offers or cash back at U.S supermarkets. However, this card’s value lies in its long intro APR and minimal fees. If you’re looking for a card with a solid rewards rate, you can’t go wrong with the Citi® Double Cash card. Though the Citi Double Cash includes an annual fee, you earn a highly competitive rewards rate.
- Digital wallets - This Citi card is also compatible with most digital wallets, notably the contactless Google and Apple Wallets. Digital wallets provide the convenience of shopping in millions of stores online with a speedy checkout.
- Attractive introductory period - Citi is offering a long intro APR of <0% for 21 months on balance transfers and 12 months on purchases.> This makes it perfect for making a larger purchase, giving you a full year to finance your purchase without worrying about any interest charges.
Next, let’s have a look at a few solid alternatives to this Citi card.
The Citi Simplicity® is a superb balance transfer card.
An 0% introductory APR for 21 months on balance transfers is one of the longest intro APR periods for balance transfers of any card, making it a fantastic choice for those looking to consolidate their credit card debt.
Additionally, with a whole year of no interest charges from the date of account opening, it’s the perfect card to finance new purchases.
While there’s a foreign transaction fee and no rewards program, the card’s affordability and ease of use make it a valuable addition to any wallet.
Ultimately, with no annual fee and a long intro APR from one of the most customer-friendly credit card issuers around, the Citi Simplicity a tough balance transfer card to beat.
You can apply for this card here.